Tuesday 26 September 2006

Potential Boredom

Having dismantled most of the Jag Independent Rear Suspension I spent a fair bit of time dismantling Universal Joints – Haynes recommended tapping the side of the UJ yoke with a rubber mallet and the bearing would work itself to the outside and could then be removed by hand. This seemed too easy – it does work they just don’t tell you that it takes about 45 minutes per bearing – 4 per UJ – 4 UJ’s in total – that’s gonna be 12 hours!!!. Having done the first couple of bearings I realised that as I was going to replace all the UJ’s I didn’t need to remove them carefully – as long as I didn’t damage the Yokes. I then quickly devised a fairly brutal method involving the direct metal on metal application of force. Result….. less than 5 minutes to dismantle a complete Universal Joint.



Not sure what to do about the stubborn rear hub.

P.S. I have been noting the position of all the camber control shims removed from either side of the inboard discs – hopefully this may make getting the correct camber on re-assembly easier – although I have a sneaking feeling that I may have to start from scratch with this.

0 Comments: