Tuesday 15 July 2008

How to over-engineer a simple bracket for the fuel pump!!

Now I blame this latest escapade on not having a windscreen yet!


The fuel pump and fuel filter need to be mounted in the boot - a simple bracket should suffice. However, I've come across a few Cobras where the noise of the fuel pump was pretty noticeable. I have a carter pump which is quieter then some and is mounted by three rubber bushings. I decided that this wasn't enough and I really should isolate the pump from the bracket!
So after a couple of hours I managed to produce a kit parts:
The nitrile rubber sheet is sandwiched between the bracket and the back piece and provides the mounting for the pump frame:
The pump frame is then bolted through the rubber using large washers to sandwich the rubber and leave a 3-4mm annulus of rubber which can flex slightly to absorb noise and vibrations:

And here's the finished item:

And this is where it will fit - with a similar bracket below to take the fuel filter:


When all is finished this little lot will need boxing in.

3 Comments:

Andy said...

Very nice! Too much time on your hands me thinks!

I spent tonight hoovering the garage, your night looks more fun!

Andrew C said...

LOL, I think you just might win the award for bracket engineering excellence. No such thing as over-engineered if you ask me. For your sake, I do hope the windscreen comes soon...
Nice work.

Anonymous said...

Well I have just spent the last 3 nights reading this blog, when I should have been out in the garage. Although it is mid winter here in New Zealand. I am totally impressed and inspired. And to think I only came here to check on some xj suspension things... Thanks.
Clive W Macann
www.mexicanjunk.co.nz