Sunday 28 September 2008

More odds 'n sods & Electrics

Spent some time painting various assorted pieces of metalwork ready for installation. This included the handbrake bracket - which now has the handbrake fitted and is now ready to go:I also started sorting out the dash loom and making the required amendments to it:

Apart from the amendments required due to my particular set up there are some changes to make to the standard loom because of the use of the Vectra steering Column. Firstly the washer is originally configured as a switched earth. With the Vectra column this becomes a switched live so the green wire to the washer needs to be replaced with an earth.

Secondly the horn relay becomes a switched live as opposed to a switched earth and the relay wiring needs to be revised as per the diagram below:



Now had I known this before I Installed the main loom and relays it would have been much easier to do bearing in mind where the relays are:So it was upside down in the footwell again to get the relays out!


Finally I sat down and worked out the wiring extensions required to fit the Vectra column switches:

Oh... and I connected up the clutch and brake hoses in the engine bay but havn't bled the systems as I'm home alone today!

3 Comments:

Andy said...

I Don't quite follow your horn wiring, looks like you've earthed both side of the relay coil?

STR said...

Hmmmm... possibly a little unclear.

The black lines are the original diagram - I just marked in red what needs changing.

The earth swithed horn push on the original diagram is rpelaced by a +ve switched feed off the vectra stalk (rear screen wash to be precise)

Remember - do this before you fit the relays - will be soooo much easier!

STR said...

Edited - Should be clearer now