Saturday 20 February 2010

Sat Nav...... In a Cobra????

Over the last few years I have become accustomed to using Sat Nav. And with the desire to travel abroad in the Cob - combined with my Wife's poor navigational skills I had been thinking about how to mount my Sat Nav in the Cobra. I had managed to conclude that the normal windscreen mounting brackets were not going to work and also that the unit needed to mounted low down to cut down on glare with having no roof. I hadn't really come up with a solution until I found a strip of spring steel in my oddments box.

And after a couple of hours here's the end result:
Very neat and discrete and when not in use the arm folds away under the dashboard:
There is a piece of chassis foam stuck to the underside of the arm to prevent the mount securing nut marking the the tunnel leather when it swings back under the dash.
The arm is fixed to the under-dash panel using a nylon washer to create a friction pivot:
The under dash 12v socket is conveniently located for powering the Sat Nav. You can also see a small aluminium bracket that the arm locates into when in the "deployed" position - here's another view:The bracket is just a cut down bit of aluminium box section bolted to the under dash panel. There is also a piece of chassis foam stuck to the top of the arm to space the arm off the bottom of the dash - just gives things a little more stability.

I got a spare powered mount off E-bay and this was simply bolted to a hole drilled in the end of the arm:Job Done.

The wires you keep seeing in the background are the leads from the battery conditioner you'll remember that I included a fly-lead under the dash to make connecting up easier.

1 Comment:

Andy said...

Neat job, thats one to condsoder, though by the time Ive finished you will probably be able to buy sats navs that mount to your sun glasses!