Tuesday 3 June 2008

Bonnet Scoop - 2

After a spot of careful marking out and a stiff drink to steady the hand I armed myself with the weapon of choice (Dremel). After an hour of cutting and filing I managed to remove a large chunk of my bonnet!

Cutting out the opening causes the two bonnet skins to separate:
Before I can finish filing and sanding the opening I need to bond the two skins together - waiting for some Sikaflex to arrive :(

Clearance to the air cleaner is about 6-7mm (if I omit 3 nuts either side) as you can see in the picture:
Should be OK as I have polyurethane engine mounts which are virtually solid so there will be very little engine movement. I'll have to see if it is OK on the road - worst case scenario will be to change the air cleaner for an oval jobbie. Although at this moment I think the bonnet is flexible enough to show a gap with the scoop if the three bolts are missing?
When my Sikaflex arrives I'll bond the two skins together, finish off the opening and paint the cut edge and the underside of the scoop and then fit the scoop.

0 Comments: