Wednesday 3 December 2008

Wiper Motor and Demists

Onwards and upwards. I tried installing the wiper motor and mechanism as per the GD build photos - only it would not fit without fouling the underside of the scuttle and the bundy tube wouldn't line up with the wiper wheel boxes without putting a tortuous s-bend in it???? I turned the wheel boxes upside down (compared to the GD build photos - but the way I had them originally - and altered the position of the motor and then everything started to fall into place:Fitting the wiper motor was another "upside down effin' & jeffin' in the footwell" moment. The mechanism is a good old fashioned bundy tube affair which can be pretty noisy if not set up correctly. I tested the whole lot with a power probe on the motor socket - and after a bit of tweaking it was all running sweetly.

Flushed with success I moved on to fitting the demist vents and escutcheons - another top tip - paint the inside of slot (i.e. the cut face of the fibreglass) with matt black paint - after filing it to match the cut out in the escutcheon.I even spent a while polishing some M5 button head bolts so they were as shiny as very shiny thing to match the escutcheons:

In the above the photo you can see the benefit of painting the inside of demist slots matt balck.
Hopefully my new longer bolts will turn up tomorrow so I can finish fitting the screen stanchions. Not exactly sure what's next on the agenda?.... probably the dashboard?

0 Comments: