Sunday 15 April 2007

Bend it like......

Still a trifle downbeat today - thinking about track rod ends. So time for something simple. I removed the transmission tunnel sheet, radiator support frame and body mountings so I could Waxoyl the inside of the chassis tubes. However judging by the smell from inside the tubes this may have already been done. A bit monotonous feeding the spray tube through the fixing holes - but well worth doing.

I felt like doing something else so I thought I would start fitting some of the brake pipes. I fitted the brake union mounting block, front splitter and the two pipes to the front callipers:
All pretty easy as each only has two bends in a straight line (note the longer pipe requires fixing to the chassis yet)

Next step was to fit the rear splitter and the two pipes to the rear calipers - these were awkward little buggers - short with tight bends.
I cheated my making a template out of a scrap piece of copper pipe and then using that as a guide to bend the pipe supplied by GD (fixed length with fittings on the end). It was important to ensure that the brake pipes cleared the handbrake calipers as shown:


I'm not sure how you will ever get back to these with the body on? Might have to devise a way of checking the integrity of the pipe runs as the pedal box is fitted to the body so you can't check the whole system until the body is on.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll find out what is wrong with my track rod ends?

0 Comments: