Monday 2 April 2007

More Action up front

On Friday I spoke to Andy at GD to confirm the basic static front suspension geometry that I should be aiming for. I subsequently altered the camber shim arrangement at the upper ball joints to give the best fit between the upper wishbone arms. This ended up being 1 x 1.0mm to the rear and 2 x 1.0mm + 1 x 1.6mm to the front. I completed the nearside arrangement - checked the chassis was level and checked the geometry. Both sides had 1/4 degree negative camber and 4.75 degrees castor.


The next stage was to fit the front brake callipers, steering arms and brake pipe brackets. These were temporarily bolted into position as the two replacement steering arm bolts need their heads drilling for lockwire.
It became evident that as the GD steering arm is thicker than the original Jaguar item and therefore that the brake pipe bracket stands too far away from the calliper.
This means that when the rigid brake pipe is fitted there is a potential problem with the pipe being crushed by the upper wishbone arm when the steering is on full lock and the suspension fully compressed - as can be seen in the photo below:One option may be to swap the brackets over from side to side and then use them upside down - this will give about 15mm of additional clearance? - I'll check this out.

I remembered to sort out some replacement rear shock shaft washers - so I'll order them tomorrow so I can finish the rear end off.

0 Comments: