Tuesday 28 April 2009

Something odd with the brakes!

Over the last couple of days I had noticed that I was beginning to get a "slack" bit on the brake pedal before they began to bite. If the brakes were re-applied within 30 seconds the pedal was OK. If you drove for a bit longer the "slack" came back.

Reminded me of when I managed to warp the discs on an old Astra..... but I have been careful with these so it seemed a bit odd??

I decided to check the disc runout.... offside OK... but then I noticed there was a slight amount of slack in the nearside wheel bearing.... not enough to detect at the steering wheel but possibly enough to knock the pads away from the disc.

Tightened it up... quick test drive all OK. Ordered a new bearing and fitted it just to be on safe side. Especially a it had been one of the last things I re-checked before SVA.

Strange...... but sorted.

I assume the pads are still bedding in as they are producing copious amounts of brake dust.

0 Comments: