Friday 29 December 2006

On the subject of Colour......

Thinking about body colour (again) today. I have already decided to opt for a "gel coat" finish for two reasons:



1) Going to the expense of painting seems unnecessary given the quality of the finish that can be obtained with GD's gel coat - many mistake it for a conventional "paint job" apparently.


2) The "gel coat" has an appreciable thickness which means that stone chips do not tend to reveal primer (as would be the case with a conventional paint job). It's also a lot harder wearing - in fact Andy Burrows recommended "gel coat" if Track Days were to be on the agenda - which I think they may well be!


It has been said that using gel coats limits the number of available colours - obviously you can't have metallic or pearlescent etc - only solid colours. GD can supply a body shell in any RAL colour. Below is a picture of the full spectrum of RAL colours - in my book I wouldn't call it limited!









I have a copy of "COBRA The First 40 Years" by Trevor Legate (excellent book by the way) in it there are some excellent pictures of "39 PH" painted in the Team Willment Colours. I think this is what I'll go for - red gel coat and the stripes can be done with vinyl (but not by me if I want them straight!).





"39PH" is pictured here fitted with it's Le-Mans Hardtop - but you get the idea - haven't made my mind up about the white roundels on the sides yet though? Just need to identify the appropriate shade of red now.

0 Comments: