Thursday 8 May 2008

Fitting the Body - Day 2 - Not Quite!

Having thought overnight about things I set about with a new plan. I found that by jacking and inserting packing under the body the holes could be lined up pretty accurately. Applying Vaseline between the top two packs allowed the body to be moved around a bit:I started with the critical front bulkhead mounts, The nearside one went in very easily but there was small gap between the body and the mount on the offside. This was remedied by levering between the tyre and the wheelarch base (note the ratchet strap as I was doing this single handedly):The offisde was lined up and the bolt inserted. The bolt went in about half the depth reasonably easily and then just turned and turned with little resistance! For some reason it seemed that the threaded insert in the mount had become detached!

DISASTER!!

It looked like I was going to have to take the body off. After throwing some tools round the garage I sat down and had a think. I jacked and packed the body up about 9 inches at the front and 12 inches at the back:

This gave enough clearance to roll the body forwards a inch or so which was a enough room to undo the body mount fixing bolt with a spanner and withdraw the mount:I had a look at the insert (a rivnut type affair) and it could be seen that it was slightly distorted and therefore not gripping the body of the mount properly. A phone call to Andy at GD and I've asked him to send me another one.

Bugger!

So having taken the day off to get the body fixed into position it looks like I'll be tidying the garage for the rest of the day!

0 Comments: