Saturday 28 April 2007

Brake Pipes Finished - Fuel Line Not....

Set to work drilling holes in the chassis and fitting rivet nuts and rubber lined p-clips for the brake pipes. All the chassis members that were drilled into were waxoiled through the drilled holes before fitting the rivet nuts. A fairly neat result:
I also bent a fitted the rear brake feed. Like other people I found this pipe to be a little on the long side which results with a bit of a "loop" by the union block. However there should be plenty of clearance to the clutch bellhousing - in hindsight it would have been easier not to use the brake pipe kit supplied but to make them up myself - might still have to do this if clearance is a problem?

I also bent to shape the rigid fuel line (10mm and a real thumb killer!) - However the p-clips supplied are 9mm... for a 10mm pipe! - I'll have to get some before I can fix this, so at the moment it is held in place with masking tape:

The engine doesn't arrive until w/c 17th June - that's 7 weeks away with not that many things to be doing! All I have on the to-do list at the minute is:
  • Fit the replacement track rod ends and set the front end up (again)..... I'm still waiting for the track rod ends from GD!
  • Clip the fuel line into place - need the right clips and to sort out clip spacing.
  • Fill the diff with Oil.
  • Fit some external return springs on the handbrake mechanism.
  • Fit jaguar wheels ready for engine / gearbox install (should be getting them next week - thanks again Lee).
  • Obtain all the parts that I need for the engine install stage and prior to recieving the body(propshaft, speedo cable, throttle cable and bracket, handbrake cable, radiator, twin fan kit, coolant header tank, oil cooler, coolant hoses, exhaust system, gearbox mounting bracket and anything else I've forgotten!).

So I think I'll spend the next few weeks sourcing parts - GD can supply everything you need - with some parts this is important to ensure compatibility - but there must be plenty of items that I can get cheaper elsewhere?

Still doesn't seem like enough to fill seven weeks? - I feel some garage tidying coming on!


2 Comments:

David McNiff said...

Are the quick release couplings allowed in the SVA now? In the GD build notes it says to leave them out

STR said...

Sorry Dave the Answers No.

They fail becuse there is nothing to stop you forgetting to conect them and going off for adrive with no brakes!!

Cheers,

Simon