Monday 17 September 2007

Back on Track!!

Received a parcel today from Repower - a replacement clutch slave bracket and also the two parts that make up the bracket. Guess what?...... new bracket same as old bracket!! However, I realised that I could fit a ratchet strap round one of the engine posts and the fork arm and operate the clutch that way. After a bit of experimenting I found that if I spaced the slave 6mm off the bracket then it was just about as perfect an alignment as you could get - through the entire range of movement.

Now it just so happens that the bracket is made from 6mm steel...... so....... I chopped up one of the parts and painted it!!
Does the job very nicely indeed!
This should have dawned on me earlier - but then again it should have been right straight out of the box! Not quite the permanent job - I need two longer fixing bolts yet - but that's easy to solve.

One interesting point is that having operated the clutch manually with a ratchet strap it was obvious that the pressure plate was not seized and stuck to the flywheel as I was able to push the car forward with it in gear.

Now all I need is the three deliveries I'm waiting for to arrive and I'm off and running!

0 Comments: